Skip to main content

[jms-spec users] Re: [jsr343-experts] Re: Late issue: Calling MessageConsumer#close from onMessage

  • From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin@...>
  • To: users@...
  • Subject: [jms-spec users] Re: [jsr343-experts] Re: Late issue: Calling MessageConsumer#close from onMessage
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 10:46:46 +0000

On 01/02/2013 16:42, Chris Barrow wrote:
If an application needs to stop the message flow it can always just set the message listener to null within the message listener itself. AFAIK that is perfectly legal according to the spec. So that's a possible work around for A.

Yes, that's legal. The spec doesn't say exactly what setMessageListener(null) does (the API docs says "setting the the MessageListener to null is the equivalent of unsetting the MessageListener for the MessageConsumer", which seems circular to me). It  doesn't mention any need for that method to block until the existing listener has returned, so we don't have a deadlock problem.

However this means that there isn't a clearly-defined point at which the message listener thread ceases to be the thread of control (presumably it occurs after onMessage has returned and the message listener thread has had time to perform any post-callback housekeeping on the session such as performing auto-ack. Only after this undefined point is it legal to call close() from another thread, or set another listener.

I suspect the JMS authors simply didn't consider this, and if they had they would have applied similar rules to close() - that setMessageListener(null) should block until the current listener has returned.

All this makes me wary of considering setMessageListener(null) as a workaround given that it is poorly defined.

Having said that I would be in favor of both A and B. For A I would recommend allowing consumer.close to be called from any message listener, for simplicity. Since all listeners for a session run on the same thread by spec there's no need to restrict it to the listener on the consumer that's being closed.

I note your support for both A and B.

If we agree on both A and B (and more views are needed, please), then what would the actual wording be?

Wording for B
-------------------

For B we would change 4.4.6.  "Conventions for using a session". This currently says

"It is erroneous for client code to use such a session from another thread of control. The only exception to this is the use of the session or connection close method."

We would change it to say:

"It is erroneous for client code to use such a session from another thread of control. The only exception to this is the use of the consumer, session or connection close method."

Wording for A
-------------------

For A we would change the API doc for consumer.close().

In JMS 1.1 this simply says (in the API doc)

This call blocks until a receive or message listener in progress has completed.

The reference to "receive" is nonsense, as far as I can see, and we should simply drop it. Calling consumer.close() in one thread whilst calling consumer.receive() in another would break existing threading restrictions on a session and is never valid.

If we adopted A+B this could be changed to say:

If there is a message listener configured on this consumer, and this method is called from a thread other than the thread of control which delivers messages to it, then this method must block until that message listener has completed.

This allows close() to be called from any of the sessions's message listeners.

If we adopted A only then we could simply drop the whole sentence. This would then allow close() to be called from a listener on its own consumer, of from any other listener using the same thread of control (which is what Chris suggests).

More views please?

Nigel

Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 1, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin@...> wrote:

Thanks for the comments on this issue.

The only EG member who replied was Rüdiger, who voted for A+B
I vote for A+B, with a slight preference for deferring B until 2.1.

A community member "earmitage" emailed me directly to support A. He/she wrote "I think closing a message consumer can be classified as application behavior with many business scenarios describable with words like receive until condition x is met so allowing application code (onMessage) to close the consumer seems prudent enough"

I think we need more views, especially from vendors.

I've pasted my earlier message below. (If it isn't clear please say so)

Nigel