Skip to main content

[jsr338-experts] Re: question regarding JPA-JTA interaction (again)

  • From: Christian Romberg <cromberg@...>
  • To: jsr338-experts@...
  • Cc: eireland@...
  • Subject: [jsr338-experts] Re: question regarding JPA-JTA interaction (again)
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 15:56:55 +0200

Finished my research of the ejb-core (3.0), jta (1.1) and jpa (2.0) specs and found nothing, that guarantees these two behaviors.

So for me it looks like, that we rely on undefined behavior.

I might have overseen something, and if anyone knows more, I would appreciate it, if you let me know.

Christian

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Christian Romberg <cromberg@...> wrote:
Evan,

You are right, the issue would not occur then.

However so far I have been unsuccessful to find out, whether it is portable behavior, for the container to call Transaction.commit() while
there are any XAResource enlisted with this Transaction, where start() had been invoked, but end() has not.

Also I have not found out yet, whether there are scenarios, where the container must not delist the XAResource. (Although not
directly applicable, the control flow diagram p.28/29 in the JTA spec suggests otherwise.)

If both is defined, i.e. container does not delist XAResource it keeps in it's invocation context before calling Transaction.commit() and
Transaction.commit() handles still enlisted resources fine (by calling beforeCompletion() first, calling end() after that, and then prepare+commit)
then we (i.e. the JPA spec) would not have a problem.

If anyone knows, that that is defined somewhere, please let me know, I will also continue researching the related specs.

If that is not explicitly defined, than we (i.e. the JPA spec) do have a problem, because we rely on undefined behavior.

Regards,

Christian

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Evan Ireland <eireland@...> wrote:
Christian,

In your step 6:

 "when the method invocation (of e.g. a session bean) ends, the container
will call Transaction.delistResource()"

I wonder if that is the root of the difficulty.

If the TM keeps JDBC connections (and/or XA resources) enlisted (in case
they are reused later in the same TX) until just before step 7b, then the
issue you are concerned about will not occur.

--
www.versant.com | www.db4o.com

--
Versant
GmbH is incorporated in Germany. Company registration number: HRB
54723, Amtsgericht Hamburg. Registered Office: Halenreie 42, 22359
Hamburg, Germany. Geschäftsführer: Bernhard Wöbker, Volker John

CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or
proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
[...]

Christian Romberg 06/14/2012

[jsr338-experts] Re: question regarding JPA-JTA interaction (again)

Evan Ireland 06/14/2012

[jsr338-experts] Re: question regarding JPA-JTA interaction (again)

Christian Romberg 06/15/2012

[jsr338-experts] Re: question regarding JPA-JTA interaction (again)

Christian Romberg 06/15/2012

[jsr338-experts] Re: question regarding JPA-JTA interaction (again)

Werner Keil 06/15/2012

[jsr338-experts] Re: question regarding JPA-JTA interaction (again)

michael keith 06/18/2012

[jsr338-experts] Re: question regarding JPA-JTA interaction (again)

Christian Romberg 06/19/2012

[jsr338-experts] Re: question regarding JPA-JTA interaction (again)

Linda DeMichiel 06/18/2012

[jsr338-experts] Re: question regarding JPA-JTA interaction (again)

Werner Keil 06/19/2012