Skip to main content

[jpa-spec users] Re: Why no AutoCloseable for EntityManager?

  • From: Christian von Kutzleben <cvkutzleben@...>
  • To: users@...
  • Subject: [jpa-spec users] Re: Why no AutoCloseable for EntityManager?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:05:13 +0200

I summary, I would say that either the JPA spec should be updated to
state that calling close on an EM is optional (and explain when it
should be called as is done for, eg, javax.naming.NamingEnumeration),
or it should be changed to indicate that it is necessary and EM should
implement AutoCloseable.

I disagree with this conclusion, it is best practice to call close() and a portable application should do so,
however, it is not _sufficient_, the transaction must be rolled back/committed also.
(Other implementations might rely on a close invocation for clean-up or other actions;
it's just that typically the database connections are only needed during a transaction and not for the entire lifetime
of an EntityManager)

So making close optional is wrong, and if it implements AutoCloseable, then this IMO promises more
behavior then it actually does, which I think is also wrong. So leaving it as it is might be the best alternative.

Regards,

Christian

[jpa-spec users] Re: Why no AutoCloseable for EntityManager?

jonty_lawson 04/04/2013

[jpa-spec users] Re: Why no AutoCloseable for EntityManager?

Christian von Kutzleben 04/04/2013

<Possible follow-up(s)>

[jpa-spec users] Re: Why no AutoCloseable for EntityManager?

jonty_lawson 04/05/2013

[jpa-spec users] Re: Why no AutoCloseable for EntityManager?

Christian von Kutzleben 04/05/2013