Skip to main content

[JSR358 EG] Re: Definition of Spec

  • From: Werner Keil < >
  • To: JSR 358 Expert Group < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [JSR358 EG] Re: Definition of Spec
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:31:55 +0100

To phrase it shorter,  does the Spec License apply only to the Spec Documentation or also Binaries/API?

A whole lot of Spec Leads and related organizations seem to interpret Spec as only the documentation.
Looking at the process document, the word "Specification" is found nearly 150 times, but only TCK is explained in a bit more detail (a suite of tests, tools, and documentation that is used to test implementations for compliance with the Specification.)

So is Spec also a "suite" or just a document?

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Werner Keil < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Steve/all,

I'm asking, if the "Spec" subject to a license like this
(Batch as example, it isn't the only one, nearly all non-Oracle Spec Leads handle this similarly) http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/licenses/jsr352/352-spec-license.pdf
applies to only the "Spec Document"; a PDF,  OpenOffice, Word or HTML file, or also the "API", meaning content of a JAR or at least files like a Maven POM, since most JSRs are distributed to java.net or MavenCentral Nexus repositories?

There are at least half a dozen JSRs where if mentioned the Spec Document file may refer to the Spec License, but everything else, including the JARs or Maven bundles under "javax.*" are licensed either under Apache 2.0, EPL or any other license, the JSR claims to use for RI and TCK only.

Is that correct?

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:03:13 -0500
> Betreff: [JSR358 EG] Re: Definition of Spec

> Werner,
> I can only speak for the Batch JSR, but I don't understand your question
> or
> who you are asking it of?  The JSR 358 EG?
> Regards,
> Steve

[JSR358 EG] Definition of Spec

Werner Keil 01/29/2013

[JSR358 EG] Re: Definition of Spec

Steve Wolfe 01/29/2013

[JSR358 EG] Re: [JSR 358 Observer] Re: Definition of Spec

Werner Keil 01/29/2013