Skip to main content

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: OpenJDK TCK terms

  • From: Patrick Curran < >
  • To: Scott Stark < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: OpenJDK TCK terms
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:54:54 -0800

I did not say that the TCK is "available only to those doing a compatible implementation." What I said was that the license is granted only to those whose implementations are substantially derived from the OpenJDK source-code (and will therefore be distributed under the GPL.) There's a significant difference between this and granting a license to anybody for any purpose whatsoever, which I think is what you are suggesting.

Here's the actual language from the license. I encourage you to read the whole thing, which you can find at http://openjdk.java.net/legal/openjdk-tck-license.pdf:
1.7 "Licensee Implementation(s)" means Licensee's implementation, in whole or in part and which may include significant modifications to the OpenJDK Code, of the Java Specification, where such implementation is substantially derived from and would be considered a derivative work of the OpenJDK Code and, if distributed to a third party, is distributed only under the GPL License.

2.1 License Grant for the TCK.

(a) Limited Grant. Subject to and conditioned upon its Licensee Implementation being substantially derived from OpenJDK Code and, if such Implementation has or is to be
distributed to a third party, its being distributed under the GPL License, Oracle hereby grants to Licensee, to the extent of Oracle's Intellectual Property Rights in the TCK, a worldwide, personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to use the TCK internally and solely for the purpose of developing and testing Licensee Implementation.
On 1/11/2013 2:21 PM, Scott Stark wrote:
" type="cite">
So I wanted to understand exactly how what I was proposing today differed from what exists for the OpenJDK TCK license model, and after reading through the JckAccess page, I cannot say I see how it does. While Patrick asserted that this was available only to those doing a compatible implementation, there are several additional categories, including ones as vague as research, bug fixes, and enhancements. I cannot see how my proposal differs in any substantive way from what the existing model is, other than the fact that there is a review process that allow for arbitrary exclusion.

From http://openjdk.java.net/groups/conformance/JckAccess/index.html:
Gaining Access to the JCK

The Java Compatibility Kit (a.k.a. JCK or TCK for Java SE) is available to developers who are planning to deploy a compatible Java implementation based on code derived from OpenJDK, or are participating in OpenJDK research, bug fixes, code enhancement and/or ports to other hardware/software architectures. The JCK is made available under the terms of the OpenJDK Community TCK License Agreement (OCTLA). There is a Java SE 6 (OCTLA V 1.1) and a Java SE 7 (OCTLA V 2.0) specific version of the OCTLA License.

Process

To obtain access to the JCK, please follow this process:

Review the terms of the OCTLA License.
Fill out and submit the JCK access request form.
The screening committee will review your form and determine if your application meets the requirements for JCK access.
After Oracle reviews your application, you will be notified via e-mail of the decision of the screening committee.
If you are granted access, you will need to send a signed copy of the OCTLA License to Oracle. The signed form can be scanned and e-mailed to oracle-ca_us [at] oracle [dot] com.
If you have not signed the Oracle Contributor Agreement (OCA), then please do so, scan it and e-mail the result to oracle-ca_us [at] oracle [dot] com.
Once Oracle receives your signed faxes, you will receive an e-mail explaining how to download the JCK.
Requirements for JCK access

Your project must be active and meet the terms of the OCTLA.
Your project can be inside or outside the OpenJDK community, but you must sign the OCA.
Note: Signing the OCA does not require that you provide any code back to Oracle or OpenJDK, however, it is mutually beneficial to all parties if relevant patches are shared throughout the OpenJDK community. Signing the OCA makes it possible for you to contribute your patches to OpenJDK.

Support

Support for the JCK will be limited and handled primarily through a private mailing list shared by Oracle and all OCTLA licensees. If you are planning to do a wide distribution of compatible implementations and are interested in branding, other services may also be made available through Oracle's licensee support organization.

If you have any questions for Oracle regarding your request for JCK access, please e-mail oracle-ca_us [at] oracle [dot] com.

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] OpenJDK TCK terms

Scott Stark 01/11/2013

Message not available

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: OpenJDK TCK terms

Steven G. Harris 01/11/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: OpenJDK TCK terms

Scott Stark 01/11/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: OpenJDK TCK terms

Patrick Curran 01/11/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: OpenJDK TCK terms

Werner Keil 01/12/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: OpenJDK TCK terms

Patrick Curran 01/12/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: OpenJDK TCK terms

Werner Keil 01/12/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: OpenJDK TCK terms

Scott Stark 01/12/2013