Skip to main content

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: Minutes of January 11 IP Working Group meeting

  • From: Gil Tene < >
  • To: "< >" < >
  • Cc: JSR 358 Expert Group < >
  • Subject: [JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: Minutes of January 11 IP Working Group meeting
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 00:38:57 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Good notes, and sorry for not being able to be on the call.

It seems to me that the discussion around cost recovery is not taking into account the whole picture. Clearly Oracle considers the ability to control field of use Not that I personally like that, but that's a not-going-to-change-soon fact. Oracle has made that clear.

Through field of use Oracle is able to set license fees and terms by field of use, and can completely block using a JSR in a specific field of use regardless of cost. A key mechanism for doing this today is in the TCK license of Java SE platforms.

My assumption is that some of this control will need to stay in the new JSPA in order for us to get it through.

-- Gil.

On Jan 11, 2013, at 4:26 PM, Patrick Curran < "> >
 wrote:

The minutes from today's IP Working Group meeting have been posted to the Document Archive.

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Minutes of January 11 IP Working Group meeting

Patrick Curran 01/12/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: Minutes of January 11 IP Working Group meeting

Gil Tene 01/12/2013