Skip to main content

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Flattening of RI/TCK IP flow: question

  • From: Anish Karmarkar < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Flattening of RI/TCK IP flow: question
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:17:33 -0800

At the last call SteveH suggested that we do more work over email rather than just relying on the calls. So here is an attempt.

I have been thinking about flattening of RI/TCK IP flow and it is not clear to me how it would work without treating the SL as special (which we have been trying to avoid so far).

Few points:

1) Even if we agree on a set of standard licenses for RI/TCK, such a set would contain more restrictive (compared to ASL) licenses such as the ones being used for the platform JSRs. This would require that the licensee come to the SL and sign the bilateral license.

2) I don't think we want licensees to obtain licenses from all contributors to a JSR. That would be burdensome.

3) This means that either
a) the non-SLs contributors would have to grant an RF license directly to the licensees, but allow the SL to make a grant under FRAND, OR
b) the non-SL contributors would grant an RF license to the Spec Lead with the ability to sub-license and the SL makes a FRAND grant (the current hub-and-spoke model).
In either case, the SL is treated as special, but 3a) does flatten the flow.

SteveW: is 3a) how you envision it would work? Did I miss other possibilities?

Thanks!

-Anish
--

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Flattening of RI/TCK IP flow: question

Anish Karmarkar 01/11/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: Flattening of RI/TCK IP flow: question

Steve Wolfe 01/11/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: Flattening of RI/TCK IP flow: question

Werner Keil 01/11/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: Re: Flattening of RI/TCK IP flow: question

Patrick Curran 01/11/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: Re: Flattening of RI/TCK IP flow: question

Gil Tene 01/11/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: Re: Flattening of RI/TCK IP flow: question

Anish Karmarkar 01/11/2013

[JSR 358 Observer] [JSR358 EG] Re: Re: Flattening of RI/TCK IP flow: question

Scott Stark 01/11/2013