Skip to main content

[jsr360-experts] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

  • From: Werner Keil < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [jsr360-experts] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 11:03:13 +0100

Dear Thomas/all,

Sorry you can't make it tomorrow.

About 2.) I thought physical interfaces were more subject to a yet to be defined Device API, but if there's anything in CLDC like CommConnection that would be a good foundation to that, I am very interested to hear more. My late father won't be able to connect his measuring devices via RS232 to Java apps any more, but your mention of that shows, he may not have been the only person to still having used such interfaces in times of USB or "Lightning" And although they probably abandoned DDE the smart greenhouse automation vendor I wrote the mentioned Java connectivity for probably also still uses this interface for their devices.

Kind Regards,
Werner

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Lampart Thomas < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Dear JSR360 specleads and experts,

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the call on March 6th. Therefore I would like to present a couple of remarks here for your consideration:

1.) AccessPoint: I really like the concept but I think it is not going far enough. The AccessPoint concept seems to be limited to discovering access points and using them for IP traffic. The aspect of configuring them or controlling them seems to be outside the scope? That is probably supposed to be done by some software outside of Java?
Now on a typical headless Java device there probably is not much software outside Java and especially no one who could configure or control an access point. All needs to be done by a midlet.
So it would be nice to actually allow a midlet to configure and control an access point. For a access point which requires some sort of "dial-up", like 2G/3G modems that would for example involve methods like "dial" and "hangup" and also additional parameters/properties like "username" and "password".

2.) CommConnection: This interface has always been lacking support for the additional control lines (RI, DCD, DSR, DTR), which are often present in physical interfaces of that sort (RS232). Maybe that's now the chance to add such support, since in headless devices these control lines are often required by some hardware which is connected. So a midlet supposed to control this hardware and using the CommConnection interface needs to be able to handle the control lines.

Looking forward to getting some feedback on this.

Kind regards
  Thomas

[jsr360-experts] JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

Lampart Thomas 03/05/2013

[jsr360-experts] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

Werner Keil 03/05/2013

[jsr360-experts] Re: [jsr360-observers] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

Michael Lagally 03/05/2013

[jsr360-experts] Re: [jsr360-observers] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

Werner Keil 03/05/2013

[jsr360-experts] Re: [jsr360-observers] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

Lampart Thomas 03/05/2013

[jsr360-experts] Re: [jsr360-observers] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

Michael Lagally 03/07/2013

[jsr360-experts] Re: [jsr360-observers] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

Lampart Thomas 03/12/2013

[jsr360-experts] Re: [jsr360-observers] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

Werner Keil 03/12/2013

[jsr360-experts] Re: [jsr360-observers] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

Werner Keil 03/13/2013

[jsr360-experts] Re: [jsr360-observers] Re: JSR 360 EG GCF remarks

Michael Lagally 03/13/2013