Skip to main content

[jsr360-experts] Re: JSR 360 EG call notes - Wed April 15th

  • From: Michael Lagally < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [jsr360-experts] Re: JSR 360 EG call notes - Wed April 15th
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 17:04:42 +0200

Dear Werner,

very good and interesting slides and sorry to read about the loss of your father.

We can talk about a input for GeeCON when we meet at the JCP F2F.
Best regards,

On 29.04.2013, at 17:54, Werner Keil wrote:

Dear Michael/all,

Here is the SlideShare version of my JavaOne Russia talk on Standards for the Future of Java Embedded:

It turned out, they granted me all 3 talks of 60 minutes, instead of the initially proposed 20, so I was able to add a few more slides on topics I had more, e.g. NFC or SensorWeb, especially the former Soviet Relations.

I know, the JSR is only in EDR and so you don't have to, but as GeeCON on May 16/17 should be a similar time-frame you may provide me one, max. two extra slides or information you would like to share with the community by then.

Kind Regards,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Michael Lagally < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Dear JSR 360 experts,

The Next JSR 360 EG call will be May 8th, 12pm GMT/UTC.

My notes from the JSR 360 call on April 15th.

Call Participants:

Thomas Lampart, Cinterion
Erkky Rysä, North Sixty-One
Werner Keil
Yagami Huang, Aplix
Michael Lagally, Oracle
Roger Riggs, Oracle

Call Notes:

• EDR status
the early draft review of CLDC 8 / JSR 360 has started on Monday, April 15th and will last until May 14th.
The EDR draft of the CLDC 8 is available at:

• Discussion about Access Point extensions
The excerpt of the Cinterion API illustrating the "bearer control" concept,
that Cinterion sent to the EG reflector before the call, was discussed.
It allows explicit control of the "bearer" state by calling "hangup".
This concept could be generalized and be added as an extension to
the access point API. Besides a "hangup" method, a method to start
the bearer was perceived to be useful.
Roger and Michael will provide a draft of this extension before the next call.

• Discussion about CLDC 8 scope
    • missing features
   • less relevant features
Currently it is difficult for EG members to assess these questions without knowing the exact
content of the other ME8 specifications. This will be rediscussed on future calls.

• Michael will present the JSR360 at the next F2F of the JCP Executive Committee
   on May 14th.

* Werner asked if the news about the JSR360 and the EDR can be communicated
  externally at upcoming conferences. The spec leads encouraged to socialize
  the JSR360 and get feedback on the EDR version of the spec.

* Thomas noted that there's an unrelated Jira issue about Microedition.Display.setBacklight.
   This is most likely related to another specification and will be cleaned up.

EG members are encouraged to continue reviewing the Specification draft and
to raise comments and questions to the SpecLeads and discuss within the EG.

Also note a new issue in the Jira to clarify the level of retention of
Annotations in class files.

Next Call:

The Next JSR 360 EG call will be May 8th, 12pm GMT/UTC.
We'll send a reminder before the meeting.
Best regards,

Roger and Michael

Oracle Java Development Group | Mobile & Embedded

Phone: +49 89 1430 2620

Mobile: +49 172 818 71 91

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

[jsr360-experts] Re: JSR 360 EG call notes - Wed April 15th

Michael Lagally 05/02/2013

[jsr360-experts] Re: JSR 360 EG call notes - Wed April 15th