[jsr360-experts] DTLS server support
- From: Michael Lagally <
- Subject: [jsr360-experts] DTLS server support
- Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 16:35:28 +0200
Dear JSR 360 EG members,
On a previous EG call It has been suggested to include support for a DTLS
server into GCF.
We discussed the DTLS server support internally quite extensively.
The feedback we got was:
- Adoption of DTLS is not widespread
- For typical IoT and M2M use cases only the DTLS client side is needed
- In a typical scenario you would establish a regular server socket and
have the CLDC 8 application open a DTLS client connection to a DTLS server
that runs on a gateway
- The implementation of a DTLS server is nontrivial
Taking all this into account it is our position that it is unnecessary to add
DTLS server support
to the current CLDC8 spec, rather consider it in a future version of the spec.