Skip to main content

[jsr360-observers] [jsr360-experts] Fwd: [JSR-354] Ballot JSR 354 Scope

  • From: Werner Keil < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Calinel Pasteanu < >, Roger Riggs < >, Volker Bauche < >
  • Subject: [jsr360-observers] [jsr360-experts] Fwd: [JSR-354] Ballot JSR 354 Scope
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 01:36:20 +0100

Dear Experts,

Following the approval of JSR 354 Renewal Ballot, and our first Kick-off call in the EG, we agreed to ask all interested observers of the JSR and relevant Umbrella JSRs like EE or ME if you they are interested and have a preference on that. If you do, please also participate in the vote for JSR 354 Scope and preferred Delivery options.

Unlike Java SE and EE, ME Embedded or CLDC 8 (especially if making java.util.Currency available as part of the JSR, this should fall under 360, while some modules could be relevant to 361 and sub-profiles for different environments and use cases) are in a slightly more comfortable position by just starting to move forward and gain shape in the near future. EE 7 and SE 8 have been frozen, thus the SE/EE opportunities for a platform or even EE profiles won't matter before EE 8 or SE 9 (which for EE could theoretically mean, a platform option may not hit the market before the ~2017-2019 timeframe based on current experience and progress)

Unlike SE/EE, either a platform or profile option (the line is thin and official JCP details don't make a real difference at all) could benefit ME, M2M and Embedded, by focussing on integration with the relevant code repositories (OpenJDK, Kenai.com or wherever the "platform" based on 360, 361 and beyond is built) may actually benefit from this option most, but all of them do not outrule inclusions of e.g. a standalone JSR into parts of the platform, profile or custom applications, it mainly decides how we best time it.

If you have any questions, please ask Spec Lead Anatole or myself.
Thanks and Regards,
--

Werner Keil JCP Executive Committee Member | Eclipse UOMo Lead, Babel Language Champion | Java Godfather

Twitter @wernerkeil | @JSR354 | #Java_Social | #EclipseUOMo | #OpenDDR

Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil

* Social Media Week: February 18 2013, Hamburg, Germany. Werner Keil, JCP Executive Committee Member, Agorava Co-Founder will present "Enterprise Social using Open Source Frameworks like Agorava"

* Social Media Week: February 22 2013, Copenhagen, Denmark. Werner Keil, JCP EC Member, JSR 354 EG Member, Agorava Co-Founder will present "Enterprise Social using Open Source Frameworks like Agorava", "Social Currencies and Crowdfunding"