Skip to main content

[jsr360-observers] [jsr360-experts] Re: NetworkInterface class

  • From: Roger Riggs < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [jsr360-observers] [jsr360-experts] Re: NetworkInterface class
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 17:48:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi Thomas,

The NetworkInterface is only necessary in cases where there are multiple
radios and the exact configuration of each radio is to be controlled by
the application.

Supposing a device with multiple SIM cards and multiple 3G radios.
The application would use the MEEP CellularNetwork and
Subscriber information to select the SIM card to register to each network.
Following that 3G configuration, the AccessPoint for each network
would need to be selected and connected to the NetworkInterface
corresponding to each CellularNetwork.
[There is a pending addition to CellularNetwork to return the
NetworkInterface corresponding to the CellularNetwork.]

In the case of a single radio, even with multiple SIM cards, the first step
is the same, registering to the network with one of the SIM cards.
Since there is only one radio there is only 1 NetworkInterface per type,
and no need to match the Access to a specific NetworkInterface.

Multiple radios of the same type is expected to be an uncommon
configuration and the AccessPoint API keeps the normal case simple
by handling the case where the AccessPoint and NetworkInterface
can be selected by the implementation.  I expect in most cases
the implementation automatically handles the details unless the
application specification needs to control the registration and
setup of the network parameters.

On 11/7/13 4:52 AM, Lampart Thomas wrote:

Dear specleads, experts,

I did look a little bit closer at the new class "NetworkInterface" and would like to ask for some clarification how this class is supposed to work and how it is supposed to be used by a midlet.

As the documentation states: "In most cases, applications will need to use only the AccessPoint API to select to connect and disconnect AccessPoints connections. The NetworkInterface APIs are needed in cases where more detailed management of connections is required."

What could this "detailed management" be ? The class does not offer any new ("exciting") methods which give additional functionality to AccessPoint ? Or am I missing something ?

Also the example seems a bit confusing to me, as it looks for "unused" NetworkInterfaces to connect an AccessPoint. Why does it need to be used ?

Can you please give a real live example where it makes sense to have the NetworkInterface class.

Best regards