Skip to main content

[jsr361-experts] Re: [jsr361-observers] Re: Kick off - finally!

  • From: Werner Keil < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [jsr361-experts] Re: [jsr361-observers] Re: Kick off - finally!
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 17:58:52 +0200

Dear Thomas/Experts,

Thanks a lot for the update. Given quite a few other regular calls, for me Thursday also sounds good, ideally ending before 6pm CET (as most European colleagues may wish for a work day time, that seems in everybody's interest, I have an Eclipse call at 6 which I usually try to catch, but it may be possible to skip it the odd week if necessary)

All other days Tue, Wed and Fri are blocked by other JSR related calls or Tue is also the usual day for EC calls. So Monday theoretically could work as the only other day in my case beside Thu.

P.s.: I know, we probably won't be having our first call before that, but if you wish to share any important information about this JSR other than the simple pointer to the JCP page I got for JavaOne Russia next week (and subsequent sessions, I also present the same topic at GeeCON in Krakow next month, possibly JavaOne Embedded in SF if invited) then please let me know as soon as you can.
No later than Tue, I'm presenting JSR 354 on the 23rd, followed by Embedded and Trusted Java on the 24th.

Kind Regards,
--

Werner Keil JCP Executive Committee Member | Eclipse UOMo Lead, Babel Language Champion | Java Godfather

Twitter @wernerkeil | @JSR354 | #Java_Social | #EclipseUOMo | #OpenDDR

Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil

* JavaOne Russia: April 23-24 2013, Moscow, Russia. Werner Keil, JCP Executive Committee Member, JSR 354/360 EG Member will present "JSR 321, JSR 354, Standards for the Future of Java Embedded"

* Eclipse Stammtisch: May 15 2013, Zurich, Switzerland. Werner Keil, UOMo Lead, JSR 360 EG Member will present "M4M 2 the Rescue of M2M"

* GeeCON: May 16-17 2013, Krakow, Poland. Werner Keil, JCP Executive Committee Member, JSR 360 EG Member will present "Standards for the Future of Java Embedded"

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Lampart Thomas < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Dear specleads and experts,

Good to hear that we can get started now :) Will we get some details about the hurdles that needed to be overcome ?

Unfortunately my schedule is a bit tight at the moment, so the only day that would work for me this week is Thursday.
Of course I prefer some central Europe (work-) day time.

A (certainly totally incomplete) list of expectations for me would be:
1.) evolve Java ME into a future proof, up-to-date platform for M2M applications. This might in some cases mean to include some proprietary APIs already used in Java ME, in some cases that might mean to include some APIs or functionality which are today only in Java SE, in some cases that might also mean that we need to go beyond SE because typical M2M (mostly embedded) devices do have some needs which are even not covered by SE.

2.) close the gap to Java SE. This is a very complex issue as it probably also affects SE.
But this gap is often a big hassle for users who work with SE and ME and it's also often hard to explain why these two java platforms are so different.

3.) a list of expected technical improvements would certainly be long. I assume Oracle is well aware of most of them and we will start this discussion as soon as we see the draft.

Looking forward to getting this JSR started and also seeing the first spec draft.

Kind regards
  Thomas