Skip to main content

[jsr361-experts] Re: New Spec draft uploaded

  • From: Werner Keil < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Terrence Barr < >
  • Subject: [jsr361-experts] Re: New Spec draft uploaded
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 14:58:01 +0200

Dear Volker/all,

I briefly mentioned some questions around the new "javax.microedition.event" package in the last call, but a few tweets in reply to a conversation with Terrence (he's probably subscribed to the alias, but I CC him just in case) made it more obvious there could be an overlap between that event package and what seems in the pipeline towards more general Device Access API/JSR.

Some, e.g. Cinterion already seem to make use of these APIs in the current version.

The design in the "event" package, especially the "EventData" class does feel quite like a simplified but semantically similar equivalent to "Data" in the old JSR 256 http://pandora.la/java/javadocs/sensor/javax/microedition/sensor/Data.html

EventData contains several mostly low level device and peripheral events like "AUDIO", "POWER" (with its entire subsystem) or "BATTERY", all of which events other APIs like JSR 265 or the largely inspired Android Sensor API (http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/Sensor.html) tried to cover in sometimes varying names or shapes.

Has the intention to create a Device Access API covering both ME and SE (Embedded) been dismissed, and the "event" package covers the base functionality of such device access, hence shall EventData and EventListener replace PeripheralEvent and PeripheralEventListener in "com.oracle.deviceaccess"?

I believe I'm not the only one keen to learn about that. And hoping, there won't be too much fragmentation between ME Embedded with an device/peripheral event model along the lines of "javax.microedition.event" on one hand and "com.oracle.deviceaccess", "javax.deviceaccess" or "java.io.deviceaccess" (based on Terrence' assumtion, that some of it could be part of OpenJDK) on the other hand???

Sorry to raise that while at least Volker must still be on vacation. I wanted to leave a little time to digest it and think about before we meet exactly one week from now in Zurich at the JCP EC F2F Meeting.

Kind Regards,
Werner

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:41 AM, < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Dear all,

I have uploaded a slightly changed spec draft to the jcp.org expert
group page.
In case you haven't started review yet, pls. make a fresh download.
Differences to the first version uploaded on Friday are mainly in the
security_*.html chapters.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards-
Volker

[jsr361-experts] Re: New Spec draft uploaded

Werner Keil 05/07/2013

[jsr361-experts] Event API (was: Re: New Spec draft uploaded)

Volker Bauche 05/12/2013

[jsr361-experts] Re: [jsr361-observers] Event API (was: Re: New Spec draft uploaded)