Skip to main content

[jsr361-observers] [jsr361-experts] Re: some remarks

  • From: Lampart Thomas < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [jsr361-observers] [jsr361-experts] Re: some remarks
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 16:42:55 +0200
  • Accept-language: de-DE, en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: de-DE, en-US

Hi Volker, all,

@Volker: thanks for the spec update.

As promised here is some input regarding extending the cellular package. I really tried to focus on basic functionality, as managing a cellular device can sometimes really involve a lot of things. I am writing this from the perspective of a 3GPP cellular, so someone who is familiar with CDMA might want to recheck this and make a suggestion how these functionalities can be more generalized to cover both technologies.

1.)   Subscriber class:

a.    Authentication code handling (e.g. sim pin): Suggestion:

                                          i.    Add method: “setAuthenticationCode (String code)”

                                         ii.    Add method: “AuthState getAuthenticationState ()”; states are : READY, PIN, PIN2, blocked

2.)   CellularNetwork class:

a.    Add method: “static CellularNetwork[] getAvailableCellularNetworks()”, returns all cellular networks the device can see

b.    Add method: “static selectNetwork (CellularNetwork network)”, selects a network; and “static selectNetwork ()” for automatic network selection

c.    Add method: “deRegister()”; deregisters from cellular network, the device will not automatically register again even in automatic mode.

d.     Add the following method: “int getAvailability()”, gets network availability, possible values are: unknown, current operator, available, forbidden

e.    Add the following method: “boolean isLimited()”, indicates limited service, i.e. device is camping on a network but cant register

f.     The network type should not only distinguish between 3GPP and CDMA but should also support subtypes like GSM, UTRAN, GSM with EGPRS, UTRAN with HSDPA, UTRAN with HSDPA and HSUPA

Also one additional remark regarding the Power API. I suggest to add the following functionality into the PowerManager:

·         Switch off device

·         Reboot the device

·         Disable/Enable all RF (“Airplane mode”)

Kind regards

   Thomas