Skip to main content

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] NIO specification clarification

  • From: Mark Thomas <markt@...>
  • To: jsr340-experts@...
  • Subject: [servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] NIO specification clarification
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 21:50:02 -0400

I've been looking in detail at the NIO changes and have a couple of questions. In section 3.7 we have the following:

The Servlet container must access methods in ReadListener in a thread safe manner.

There is equivalent text in section 5.3:

The Servlet container must access methods in WriteListener in a thread safe manner.

I recall some discussions around this area but not this exact language. It is not clear to me how one accesses a method in a thread safe manner since thread safety is a property of the method implementation not of how it is accessed. A search of the archives did not provide any illumination either. So, I have two questions.

Q1. What exactly does the above mean?

Q2. Why was this requirement added?

Cheers,

Mark

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] NIO specification clarification

Mark Thomas 04/10/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Rémy Maucherat 04/10/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Rajiv Mordani 04/10/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Mark Thomas 04/11/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Rajiv Mordani 04/11/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Mark Thomas 04/12/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: Re: NIO specification clarification

Rajiv Mordani 04/12/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: Re: NIO specification clarification

Mark Thomas 04/12/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Rémy Maucherat 04/12/2013