Skip to main content

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

  • From: Rajiv Mordani <rajiv.mordani@...>
  • To: jsr340-experts@...
  • Cc: Rémy Maucherat <rmaucher@...>
  • Subject: [servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:45:58 -0700

On 4/10/13 6:50 AM, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
On 04/10/2013 03:50 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
I've been looking in detail at the NIO changes and have a couple of questions. In section 3.7 we have the following:

The Servlet container must access methods in ReadListener in a thread safe manner.

There is equivalent text in section 5.3:

The Servlet container must access methods in WriteListener in a thread safe manner.

I recall some discussions around this area but not this exact language. It is not clear to me how one accesses a method in a thread safe manner since thread safety is a property of the method implementation not of how it is accessed. A search of the archives did not provide any illumination either. So, I have two questions.

Q1. What exactly does the above mean?

Q2. Why was this requirement added?
I think this is supposed to mean that there should be only one container thread doing actions related to a particular request processing, such as calling the read/write listeners, invoking async dispatches, etc. If that is correct, the statement could be more precise.

Yes that is correct. Am happy to add a clarification to this but just so everyone knows we have submitted for final approval ballot so we need to either decide today what we want to replace this with or wait for an MR to clarify this.

- Rajiv

Rémy

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] NIO specification clarification

Mark Thomas 04/10/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Rémy Maucherat 04/10/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Rajiv Mordani 04/10/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Mark Thomas 04/11/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Rajiv Mordani 04/11/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Mark Thomas 04/12/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: Re: NIO specification clarification

Rajiv Mordani 04/12/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: Re: NIO specification clarification

Mark Thomas 04/12/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Rémy Maucherat 04/12/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: NIO specification clarification

Mark Thomas 04/12/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: Re: NIO specification clarification

Rémy Maucherat 04/12/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: Re: NIO specification clarification

Mark Thomas 04/29/2013

[servlet-spec users] [jsr340-experts] Re: Re: Re: NIO specification clarification

Rémy Maucherat 04/29/2013