Skip to main content

Re: API simplification scope

  • From: Binod < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: API simplification scope
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:06:39 +0530

Thanks everyone for the perspective.

Created a JIRA entry to track the option 2 as expressed
in this thread.

http://java.net/jira/browse/SIPSERVLET_SPEC-2

thanks,
Binod

On Wednesday 19 September 2012 10:07 PM, Nitzan Nissim wrote:
" type="cite">We share the majority opinion here.

As others have said, #2 makes more sense both due to the tight schedule constraints and since #3 sounds like it belongs in a layer above the SIP servlets container, and could have a separate set of standards defined for it.

Thanks,
Nitzan

Nitzan Nissim
SIP Container Architect, WebSphere SIP Infrastructure
IBM Software Group, AIM
Israel Software Lab
+972 (54) 6976107
+972 (8) 9482326
">

From:        Binod ">< >
To:         "> ,
Date:        09/13/2012 12:35 PM
Subject:        API simplification scope

Hi,

Here are the options proposed in yesterday's meeting for
simplifying the SIP Servlet API.

1. Small Changes :
    Make incremental changes to the apis. Eg:  Add more methods
    to existing interfaces like B2BUahelper etc. Do nothing more.
2. Big Changes:
    - Utilize Java EE 6 and 7 features to simplify the programming
    - Eg: Define JCDI custom scopes like SipSessionScoped or
      SipApplicationSessionScoped, Use JCDI @Observes to listen
      to SIP messages, Use AsyncContext of Servlet 3.0 for SIP etc.
    - Make the API more pluggable to add utilities/services in a
      generic way. We only have B2BUaHelper now.
3. Huge Changes:
    - Standardize high level communication services like call control,
      Instant Messaging and Presence.

Please reply with your opinion. Also note that, we are only defining
the scope for now.

thanks,
Binod.

API simplification scope