Skip to main content

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

  • From: "Lewis, Keith" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 09:33:49 +0000

Eric,

It is not clear that we need the extra rule that you suggest. Route headers would normally be used to propagate a flow token up to the point where the last app is reached. This app then calls setFlow. There should not be any applications between the one that is flow aware and the flow itself.

This would mean that the behaviour we need at a B2B app is that it propagates the route headers from its incoming leg to the outgoing one.

If the flow aware app is a SipServlet the added consideration is the fact that it is the app router that pops the Route header and not the application itself. The header containing the flow token will be available either as the poppedRoute or the initialPoppedRoute. As long as the intervening apps use a CONTINUE or REVERSE directive the poppedRoute will be preserved.

We could continue to impose the current rules in 14.2.1 to flows but it is not clear that they are important in practice.

Keith

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Eric Cheung < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi Binod

I am sorry if I am reiterating on this discussion we had yesterday, but I don't think my concern about application routing has been adequately discussed.

In JSR289 14.2.1 re setOutboundInterface(), "If any application in the chain acts as UAS (or a B2BUA), then the previous applications setting (if any) is not relevant anymore".  This is not too much of a problem because the request can still get to the destination using the OS's normal IP routing.

However, for SIP Outbound case, if the flow is not used then the request will not get to the destination.  It is a serious problem and imposes restrictions on the deployer on composition.

How about this proposal that preserves the selection of flow across a B2BUA within the same container JVM:

After an application calls SipSession/Proxy/ProxyBranch.setFlow() and then proxies or sends a request, if an application downstream acts as a B2BUA and uses the outgoingReq = createRequest(incomingReq, ...) then the flow selected by setFlow() previous continues to apply.

(the B2buaHelper class is deprecated but at the F2F we decided to move the createRequest() methods somewhere else).

If we want consistency, we can consider modifying the specification on 14.2.1.  I believe setting outbound interface was considered a corner case in JSR289.  I don't know if anyone relies on this specific behavior that a B2BUA downstream will remove the setting.

Thanks
Eric

On 2/6/13 11:49 PM, Binod wrote:

SIP Outbound.
-------------------
- Here is what I think we had consensus on.
- From an application composition perspective, it is similar to 14.2.1
of the spec.
o The settings of the last proxy application in a chain that used the
outbound apis will be used
by the container and that will override any previous settings.
o If the chain contains a UAS, then the previous settings will not be
relevant anymore to the remaining
applications.

--------------------
Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Thrupoint, Inc.

Meeting Notes.

Binod 02/07/2013

Re: Meeting Notes.

Lewis, Keith 02/07/2013

Re: Meeting Notes.

Jean Deruelle 02/13/2013

On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Eric Cheung 02/08/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Binod 02/08/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Eric Cheung 02/08/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Lewis, Keith 02/09/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Eric Cheung 02/11/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Lewis, Keith 02/12/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Eric Cheung 02/13/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Lewis, Keith 02/13/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Eric Cheung 02/13/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Lewis, Keith 02/13/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Jean Deruelle 02/13/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Eric Cheung 02/13/2013

Re: On SIP Outbound and app composition (Re: Meeting Notes.)

Jonas Borjesson 02/13/2013