Skip to main content

Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

  • From: Binod < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 09:17:40 +0530

As you might have seen in the meeting minutes, it sounds like
the usecases are not very obvious to everyone. I will send a clear description
of the usecases before we proceed with this discussion.

thanks,
Binod.

On Friday 08 March 2013 07:32 AM, Lewis, Keith wrote:
" type="cite">Comments below

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Binod < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On Wednesday 06 March 2013 10:15 PM, Lewis, Keith wrote:
This sound difficult to implement and it is not clear that it is needed.
Isnt it simply the HTTP session of the HTTP request that did the protocol
upgrade? What is the implementation issue here?

The issue is described in the next paragraph. Web containers do not normally store the last received jsessionid for a connection - they do not need to since the jsessionid comes in every request. It would seem strange to require them to do so just in case the connection is switched to SIP.

The http sessions are accessed by via the jsessionid.
A web container expects to get the jsessionid cookie in every message and so would not normally have it stored.

We already have the method SipApplicationSession.getSession(id, Protocol.HTTP) which can locate a particular http session. The sessionId can be passed from the client in a SIP message.
But there can be multiple sip application sessions created because of
the SIP traffic in the websocket connection. Hope you are not saying
that the httpsession should be associated with all of them.

No I am saying that the existing session targetting mechanisms can be used ensure that the existing http session and a new sip session are both part of the same app session. (1) the http servlet can create an app session then use the encodeURI mehod to create a URI and pass it back to the client (2) the client can use this URI as the top route for an initial request sent to the SIP container and can also pass the jsessionid as a parameter (3) the container will create a new sip session which is part of the app session created earlier, if there is more than one http session in the app session the jsessionid can be used to find the relevant one.

There is probably something similar that can be done with app key targeting.

Using the app session means that it is not relevant whether the connection used by the client for the http request is the same as the one used for the SIP requests or a different one. In addition in a clustered environment where the websocket connection is terminated at a load balancer the use of session targeting will ensure that the sessions are on the same node of the cluster.

We already have mechanisms to allow a client to initiate both http and sip sessions to the same server and then have them interact. Is there something special about a websocket connection that means that these mechanisms are not sufficient?

Keith

thanks,
Binod.

Keith

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Binod < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi folks,

To follow up on our discussion in the last meeting, here is
my proposal on handling converged application scenario.

Note that this is applicable only for converged containers.
Standalone SIP containers are not required to support this
feature.

Usecase:

It is often useful for developers who embed sip web socket server
endpoints into a larger web application (eg: a webrtc app) to be
able to share information on a per client basis between the web
resources (JSPs, JSFs, Servlets for example) and the web socket
endpoints servicing that client. Because web socket connections
are initiated with an http request, there is an association between
the HttpSession under which a client is operating and any web
sockets that are established within that HttpSession.

Proposal:

Add a method in SipSessionsUtil to retrieve the HttpSession.
HttpSession httpSession = ssu.getInitiatingWebSession(sipSession);

Let me know what do you think.

thanks,
Binod.

On Wednesday 27 February 2013 08:58 PM, Binod wrote:
Hi,

Please find a draft version of SIP over websocket support attached.
This is as per the discussions we had in the F2F.

However, I am thinking, if we should have a way to obtain HTTP Session
that originated the websocket traffic to the application. That can help
developers write interesting converged application that use HTTP and SIP
together.

thanks,
Binod.

--------------------
Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Thrupoint, Inc.
nXaR2cC3

--------------------
Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Thrupoint, Inc.
nXaR2cC3

Re: SIP over websocket draft.

Binod 03/05/2013

Re: SIP over websocket draft.

Binod 03/06/2013

Re: SIP over websocket draft.

Lewis, Keith 03/06/2013

getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

Binod 03/07/2013

Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

Lewis, Keith 03/08/2013

Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

Binod 03/08/2013

Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

binod pg 03/13/2013

Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

Lewis, Keith 03/18/2013

Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

Binod 03/19/2013

Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

George Vagenas 03/20/2013

Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

George Vagenas 03/20/2013

Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

binod pg 03/20/2013

Re: getInitiatingWebSession [Re: SIP over websocket draft.]

George Vagenas 03/20/2013

<Possible follow-up(s)>

Re: SIP over websocket draft.

Lewis, Keith 03/06/2013