Skip to main content

Fwd: B2B proposal

  • From: "Strickland, Tom" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Fwd: B2B proposal
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:46:39 +0100

Forwarded on behalf of Keith, as his emails seem to be bouncing off the list. I will add my own thoughts in a subsequent email.

From: Jonas Borjesson < " target="_blank"> >
Date: Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM
To: " target="_blank">

Hi all,

I agree with George – i.e., 1A is my preferred solution since as I'm
sure you know by now that I like interfaces, things become more
explicit. Apart from that, I do have a few other questions/comments:

=== Consistency ===
The suggestion calls for a lot of new very specific methods, such as
SipInviteRequest.
getUnacknowlegedProvisionalResponse(s),
SipFactory.createContinuationRequest and
SipSession.getActiveInvites(UAMode).

The first two ones are very specific but the third one has two
meanings, incoming and outgoing which is defined by the UAMode. Going
with the rest of the methods and the overall intent of the proposal
should they just be renamed to
SipSession.getActiveIncoming/OutgoingInvites? I can go both ways but
just wanted to ask. I think consistency is super important in an API.
However, from a simplicity point of view I have some other concerns
about these every specific methods...

I like the idea of having SipSession.getActiveIncoming/OutgoingInvites

Also, we often returns Collection but sometimes pass in Set. If the
intent is indeed to e.g. not allow duplicates then sure, use a Set but
then I would ask if that really matters for the proposed changes? So
is the useage of Set deliberate?

Yes createContinuationRequest could take a Collection.

And finally, in 289 Iterators are what is typically returned so if
nothing else the return values from these new proposals should
probably do the same (even though there are some inconsistencies in
289 as well – SipApplicationSession.getTimers() e.g.) .

But Collections are more useful - I would prefer utility over consistency. We can find out what others think.

=== Simplicity ===

In general, we should certainly make the life of the developers easy
but I don't always think creating a bunch of different very special
purpose methods will actually help. If we end up creating methods such
as SipFactory.createContinuationRequest then I believe that the API is
broken as it is and patching it is only going to make developers more
confused.

--- CreateContinuationRequest ---

So, createContinuationRequest, apart from making that particular use
case just slightly easier, is it a good idea? Perhaps the routing
directive should be added to the SipFactory.createRequest methods
instead? If we decide to keep the createContinuationRequest, why not a
createReverseRequest too?

I guess I personally do not like the createContinuationRequest because
for consistency sake we should then also add all the other
possibilities but the API becomes really cluttered, which is even
worse. So, I'm voting for not including this method and if really
needed enhance the SipFactory.createRequest ones instead, which I
believe is also what Binod suggested.

I included createContinuationRequest as a lightweight version of the B2BuaHelper.createRequest() methods which may be deprecated. You are right we could just remove it.

If a B2B application is sequenced in by a remote container that used ROUTE-BACK it should copy route headers. If the same app is to work well with a local app router it should use the CONTINUE directive. I was thinking that there may be some merit in doing both in the same method but not much would be lost by removing the method and having these two actions performed separately.

(I note that it is quite cumbersome to copy route headers in the correct order so a pushRoutes() method might be helpful for creating B2B apps).

Also, on a separate note, the javadoc isn't super clear what the
directive is for the newly created request. I assume is is NEW, which
makes sense but the only reference I have found regarding this is the
javadoc on SipServletRequest.setRoutingDirective, which is referring
to the deprecated SipFactory.createRequest. Perhaps we should improve
the javadoc here...

(side note2: for a beautiful API that gets stuff done, check out the
Python Requests API (though http is way simpler protocol but this API
is what I try and strive for)
http://docs.python-requests.org/en/latest/)

--- SipInviteRequest.getUnacknowledgedProvisionalResponse ---

Why do we need to pass in the SipSession? If we do, it seems like this
method should be on the SipSession as opposed to the request. Since it
is on the request, I would assume this method would only return
SipSession is not needed since the request you are operating on
explicitly is associated with a SipSession, or perhaps I'm missing
something...

Version 2 of my proposal did have this method on the SipSession. I realised a problem with that as explained in the email that accompanied version 3.

The rseq value in a reliable provisional is only unique for that dialog. Due to forking there can be several dialogs which return provisional responses. In order to locate a specific response at a UAC which is downstream of a forking proxy we need to pass the session (or derived session) along with the rseq to the method on SipInviteRequest.

If we put the method on the SipSession there is still a problem with the uniqueness of the rseq value. PRACK can arrive after the corresponding ACK by which time a new INVITE transaction can be in progress which also has provisional responses. To retrieve the correct response we would need to pass it the requestId of the INVITE transaction as well as the rseq.

It seems best to avoid cluttering the SipSession interface with methods such as this one.

--- SipSession.getActiveInvites ---

What about getActiveXXX? i.e., what about all the other methods?

Only INVITE transactions require an ACK, other transactions are complete once the final response is sent/received. Similarly only INVITES can have reliable provisional responses.

--
Keith

--
Tom Strickland, Software Developer, Thrupoint Software. Tel: +44 (0) 2920 005110

--------------------
Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Thrupoint, Inc.
nXaR2cC3

Re: B2B proposal

Jonas Borjesson 06/12/2013

Re: B2B proposal