The Mozilla DTrace project is a Dynamic Tracing Framework for Mozilla, and it's a place where two significant open source communities meet - both DTrace and Mozilla.
- Design and implement a Dynamic Tracing Framework in Mozilla.
- Promote the inclusion of this framework into Mozilla head and make it available in OpenSolaris.
- Work with the Mozilla and DTrace communities to encourage the use and addition of custom dtrace probes to help improve performance, resource usage and quality of both Mozilla products and Web 2.0 applications built on top of them.
- Use the project as a place to post faqs/pointers on USDT related stuff, worked examples of Mozilla performance issues, pointers to blogs and so on.
All the gory details, including the original project proposal are in the following Mozilla bugzilla bugs:
- Bugzilla 370906: Dynamic Tracing Framework for Mozilla
- Status: landed in CVS head 2007-10-10.
- Status: landed in CVS head 2007-10-19.
- Bugzilla 401697: Adding custom load URL probes to Mozilla
- Status: Patch and DTrace script ready for review. Also the example output for the script might be helpful.
They are also enabled in the latest Firefox 3.0 release builds, with package and tar provided. Compiled and uploaded by Alfred.
Wanna have a try?
If you're interested in this project and want to have a try, check out the link's below:
- Mozilla Probes
- For examples of adding and working with Custom Mozilla probes for URI and Image loading as well as DNS lookup probes refer to John Rice's blog.
If you have difficulties using our patches or any suggestions/ideas/DTrace scripts to share with us, please send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.