Skip to main content

Greetings, and virtual ZFS under ZFS

  • From: Jeff Savit < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Greetings, and virtual ZFS under ZFS
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:34:20 -0700

Greetings, inhabitants of new list! I wanted to send a test message that was more than a ping, so a trivial (I suppose) observation so there's at least a little content.

I have Solaris guest domains on Oracle VM Server for SPARC (the hypervisor formerly known as Logical Domains), with three 20GB ZFS root disks in the same ZFS dataset, plus about another 2GB of ISO images, yet the ZFS dataset USED space is 22GB. No dedupe (I suppose I could have) and only default compression with compressionratio 1.2x.  Nothing exciting, but pleasant. I should mention that I'm using the least efficient way of setting up a ZFS backend: simple flat files in a ZFS dataset.  You'll get much better performance with zvols, but this is so easy...

regards all, Jeff

Greetings, and virtual ZFS under ZFS

Jeff Savit 03/21/2013

Re: Greetings, and virtual ZFS under ZFS

Cindy Swearingen 03/21/2013