Skip to main content

Re: zfs list reports wrong size when working with files

  • From: Peter Wood < >
  • To: Cindy Swearingen < >
  • Cc: ZFS Discuss List < >
  • Subject: Re: zfs list reports wrong size when working with files
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 10:50:43 -0700

Thank you Cindy.

Am I correct to think that Oracle's documentation will become more and more "inaccurate" for the open source ZFS as time passes. Oracle already released zfs v.30 with encryption so even now that part of the documentation doesn't apply to the open source ZFS.

I've tried not to use Oracle's documentation for fear I may run into such discrepancies. I'm using an old ZFS Admin guide I've downloaded from before Solaris 11 era. I'd assume as the open source ZFS develops there will be a need for accessible and updated guide to it.

Anyone knows a way to access the open source ZFS documentation?

Thanks,

-- Peter

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Cindy Swearingen < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi Peter,

Excellent observations...

Due to some difficult space accounting history, zpool list reports
inconsistently between mirrored and RAIDZ pools.The zpool list command
reports the deflated space for mirrored pools and inflated space for
RAIDZ pools.

See this doc section for more info:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26502_01/html/E29007/gbbti.html#scrolltoc
ZFS Storage Pool Space Reporting

Thanks, Cindy

On 04/02/13 01:44, Peter Wood wrote:
This must to be valid for raidz type vdevs because it reports the
correct size for mirrors:

root@oiserver1:~# zpool create mypool mirror /dsk/disk{1..3}
root@oiserver1:~#
root@oiserver1:~# zpool list
NAME     SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
mypool   123M    92K   123M         -     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
rpool   29.8G  5.90G  23.9G         -    19%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
root@oiserver1:~#

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Ian Collins < " target="_blank">
<mailto: " target="_blank"> >> wrote:

    Peter Wood wrote:

        I've been testing zfs configurations on OI 151a7 using 128MB
        files and I noticed that I'm getting the wrong pool sizes when
        using raidz.

    <snip>

        errors: No known data errors
        root@oiserver1:~#
        root@oiserver1:~# zpool list mypool
        NAME     SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
        mypool   492M   484K   492M         -     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
        root@oiserver1:~#
        ==========

        With raidz3 I'm expecting the size of 4 drives pool to be equal
        to the size of one drive but in the example above "zpool list"
        reported size that is close to a stripe configuration.

    zpool list reports the total storage, not the pool size.  Use zfs
    list to see the available space.

    --
    Ian.

zfs list reports wrong size when working with files

Peter Wood 04/02/2013

Re: zfs list reports wrong size when working with files

Ian Collins 04/02/2013

Re: zfs list reports wrong size when working with files

Peter Wood 04/02/2013

Re: zfs list reports wrong size when working with files

Eric Sproul 04/02/2013

Re: zfs list reports wrong size when working with files

Cindy Swearingen 04/02/2013

Re: zfs list reports wrong size when working with files

Peter Wood 04/02/2013

Re: zfs list reports wrong size when working with files

Tim Kennedy 04/02/2013