Future Directions for Squawk
This is a list of requested and planned features for the Squawk VM. This is in addition to the issues listed in the bug database.
- Implement Real-Time support in Squawk, starting with a sub-set of the RTSJ (Real-Time Specification for Java).
- Figure out and implement technology transfer plan, including Open Source and business licensing.
- Execution Engine enhancements, which may include interpreter rewrite, AOT-compilation, and byte-code optimizations (inlining, etc).
- Continue SPOT support, fixing critical bugs
- New SPOT-requested features.
- New Community-requested features.
- Squawk on Java Card (this was done before but we can expect the current open source implementation to be ported to Java Card) Source: http://download.java.net/mobileembedded/podcasts/mobileandembedded065.mp3
- Additional announcement expected Jan 09.
- Squawk on iMote (see issue database)
- Squawk layered onto various OSs. Uses a scheme similar to JNA to access the underlying OS supplied routines.