Skip to main content

[truezip-dev] Re: [truezip-users] Re: [Q] Is truevfs-driver-rar under development now?

  • From: Christian Schlichtherle <christian@...>
  • To: dev@...
  • Subject: [truezip-dev] Re: [truezip-users] Re: [Q] Is truevfs-driver-rar under development now?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:57:40 +0100

Hi Konstantin,

welcome to the developer's mailing list and good luck with your plans. Out of interest, will the resulting driver be open source?

As you figured, all TrueVFS Driver modules contain an implementation of the abstract FsDriverMapModifier class for location with the FsDriverMapLocator.SINGLETON. This enables a user to add the driver by simply adding the JAR to the class path - its driver map modifier will then register the driver for the file format's canonical file extensions, e.g. "ear|jar|war" for the JarDriver class.

Now many driver classes share the code to access the ZIP file format, e.g. TrueVFS Driver ZIP and TrueVFS Driver JAR. In order to avoid code duplication, each of these driver modules depend on the TrueVFS Component ZipDriver. Because I wanted to spin-off the ZIP code as a standalone module which does not depend on the TrueVFS Kernel Specification, I split this into the TrueVFS Component ZipDriver and TrueVFS Component ZIP. The former depends on the TrueVFS Kernel Specification while the latter doesn't.

Now for your case I don't think this complexity is required at all. The code to access a RAR file and the corresponding driver can go into a single TrueVFS Driver RAR. You can still do a spin-off later because Maven will sort out all dependencies.

You can use any existing TrueVFS Driver module as a sample, but I would like to recommend the TrueVFS Driver TAR because it's the simplest one, but for sure not the smartest one.

Regards,
Christian

Am 15.11.2012 um 12:29 schrieb Konstantin Gribov <grossws@...>:

Ok.

Because I use JSE7, I'll try to implement it in truevfs.

As I understand truevfs-driver-rar should only contain *DriverMapModifier and actual implementation should be in comp-rar/comp-rardriver.
What's the difference between comp-zip and comp-zipdriver?

2012/11/15 Christian Schlichtherle <christian@...>
Hi Konstantin,

at current, there is no TrueVFS Driver RAR nor are there plans on my side to add it in near time. However, such a driver would be very welcome, so please feel welcome to implement it. :-)

If you want to go this route, then you have two options:

1) Add this driver to TrueZIP and live with the complexity and constraints of TrueZIP, most of them imposed by the limitations of OIO (alias old java.io) on JSE 6.

2) Add this driver to TrueVFS and accept the fact that everything but the access tier (i.e. the module TrueVFS Access) is still in flux.

Christian

[truezip-dev] Re: [truezip-users] Re: [Q] Is truevfs-driver-rar under development now?

Konstantin Gribov 11/15/2012

[truezip-dev] Re: [truezip-users] Re: [Q] Is truevfs-driver-rar under development now?

Christian Schlichtherle 11/15/2012