Skip to main content

[truezip-dev] Re: [truezip-users] Re: [Q] Is truevfs-driver-rar under development now?

  • From: Christian Schlichtherle <christian@...>
  • To: dev@...
  • Subject: [truezip-dev] Re: [truezip-users] Re: [Q] Is truevfs-driver-rar under development now?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:25:46 +0100

Hi Konstantin,

nevermind, I thought so because I have looked at RAR before.

Well, for the time being, please feel free to use the package name net.java.truevfs.driver.rar . I will "reserve" the package name and when you think time is ripe we can integrate the driver as a read-only driver to the TrueVFS source code - if you want.

Regards,
Christian

Am 15.11.2012 um 17:38 schrieb Konstantin Gribov <grossws@...>:

I'm really interested in rar access capability.

As I khow nobody can write rar archiver because of licensing issues. There is several java unrar implementations. Copy of original license can be found at https://github.com/jukka/java-unrar/blob/master/license.txt. So rar driver can be at most read-only.

I haven't much time at work to develop the driver now, so it'll be slow unperiodic process. =(

--
Best regards,
Konstantin Gribov.

2012/11/15 Christian Schlichtherle <christian@...>
Hi Konstantin,

well, if you are going to write a "serious" driver implementation for the RAR file format, then I would be happy to officially integrate it into TrueVFS. The benefit would be that I would take care of it so it passes future refactorings of the TrueVFS Kernel (some are needed to support access permissions and such).

A "serious" driver implementation should have read/write capabilities and come with unit and integration tests so that nobody needs to apologize for its quality. ;-) And of course, there should be some documentation, best integrated with the Maven SIte Plugin.

I could then also integrate it into the TrueVFS Profile Default or TrueVFS Profile Full and add it to the TrueVFS Archetype Access and TrueVFS Archetype Profile.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Christian

Am 15.11.2012 um 14:17 schrieb Konstantin Gribov <grossws@...>:

Hello, Christian.

Of course I'll open source it. Can I use standard package namespaces (net.java.truevfs) for it? I think EPL should be appropriate for it.

--
Best regards,
Konstantin Gribov.

2012/11/15 Christian Schlichtherle <christian@...>
Hi Konstantin,

welcome to the developer's mailing list and good luck with your plans. Out of interest, will the resulting driver be open source?

As you figured, all TrueVFS Driver modules contain an implementation of the abstract FsDriverMapModifier class for location with the FsDriverMapLocator.SINGLETON. This enables a user to add the driver by simply adding the JAR to the class path - its driver map modifier will then register the driver for the file format's canonical file extensions, e.g. "ear|jar|war" for the JarDriver class.

Now many driver classes share the code to access the ZIP file format, e.g. TrueVFS Driver ZIP and TrueVFS Driver JAR. In order to avoid code duplication, each of these driver modules depend on the TrueVFS Component ZipDriver. Because I wanted to spin-off the ZIP code as a standalone module which does not depend on the TrueVFS Kernel Specification, I split this into the TrueVFS Component ZipDriver and TrueVFS Component ZIP. The former depends on the TrueVFS Kernel Specification while the latter doesn't.

Now for your case I don't think this complexity is required at all. The code to access a RAR file and the corresponding driver can go into a single TrueVFS Driver RAR. You can still do a spin-off later because Maven will sort out all dependencies.

You can use any existing TrueVFS Driver module as a sample, but I would like to recommend the TrueVFS Driver TAR because it's the simplest one, but for sure not the smartest one.

Regards,
Christian

Am 15.11.2012 um 12:29 schrieb Konstantin Gribov <grossws@...>:

Ok.

Because I use JSE7, I'll try to implement it in truevfs.

As I understand truevfs-driver-rar should only contain *DriverMapModifier and actual implementation should be in comp-rar/comp-rardriver.
What's the difference between comp-zip and comp-zipdriver?

2012/11/15 Christian Schlichtherle <christian@...>
Hi Konstantin,

at current, there is no TrueVFS Driver RAR nor are there plans on my side to add it in near time. However, such a driver would be very welcome, so please feel welcome to implement it. :-)

If you want to go this route, then you have two options:

1) Add this driver to TrueZIP and live with the complexity and constraints of TrueZIP, most of them imposed by the limitations of OIO (alias old java.io) on JSE 6.

2) Add this driver to TrueVFS and accept the fact that everything but the access tier (i.e. the module TrueVFS Access) is still in flux.

Christian

[truezip-dev] Re: [truezip-users] Re: [Q] Is truevfs-driver-rar under development now?

Konstantin Gribov 11/15/2012

[truezip-dev] Re: [truezip-users] Re: [Q] Is truevfs-driver-rar under development now?

Christian Schlichtherle 11/15/2012