Skip to main content

[jsr356-experts] Re: [jsr356-users] Re: Updated Spec: v005: Close to EDR

  • From: Scott Ferguson < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [jsr356-experts] Re: [jsr356-users] Re: Updated Spec: v005: Close to EDR
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:49:51 -0700

On 09/19/2012 12:34 PM, Danny Coward wrote:
" type="cite">
On 9/14/12 5:10 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
" type="cite">
On 09/14/2012 04:44 PM, Danny Coward wrote:
" type="cite"> Hi folks,

I've updated the specification document and API again this week. I'm still looking for review comments. This week only some smaller changes, the API tweaks arising from our work on the reference implementation (see below).

There needs to be a Encoder.BinaryStream and Encoder.CharacterStream and corresponding Decoders (names can be different of course.)

Thanks Scott.

I guess that would allow the encoders and decoders to be stream-based. Something like:

 public interface Encoder.CharacterStream<T> extends Encoder {
      public Reader encode(T object) throws EncodeException;
 }

(and analagous for binary encoder & the Decoders) ?

Yes, but different signature:

  public void encode(Writer writer, T object);
  public T decode(Reader reader);

  public void encode(OutputStream os, T object);
  public T decode(InputStream is);

where the streams come from the websocket implementation (not the encoder/decoder).

That will match up nicely with existing remoting systems, making them easy to implement. Efficient too, because they can be implemented without any extra buffering needed for either direction.

-- Scott

" type="cite">
- Danny
" type="cite">
Otherwise, this looks like a good draft to me.

-- Scott

" type="cite">
The v005 API is in the source repository, under the v005 branch.
http://java.net/projects/websocket-spec/sources

spec document and javadoc here:-
http://java.net/projects/websocket-spec/downloads/directory/Spec%20javadoc%20Drafts/v005

Changes

- added to the security chapter in the specification.
- bolstered up some of the javadoc here and there, esp annotations
- added missing constructors on DecodeException
- add WebSocketError annotation, mirroring other lifecycle annotations.

We have had a number of drafts and revisions now, and I think with one more round of review next week and comment we are almost ready for Expert Draft review. Many of you will know all about this stage, but the main point is that it allows us to get review from a wider audience. Not everything has to be finished, or complete. But I think we have a lot of our content in place, and with another round of review, it will be in good enough shape for new readers to give us good feedback on what is there.

We have made the RI project public now: its at http://java.net/projects/tyrus/ if you want to take a look. Still a work in progress, but it is tracking the v003 API.

Cheers,

[jsr356-experts] Updated Spec: v005: Close to EDR

Danny Coward 09/14/2012

[jsr356-experts] Re: [jsr356-users] Updated Spec: v005: Close to EDR

Scott Ferguson 09/15/2012

[jsr356-experts] Re: Updated Spec: v005: Close to EDR

Danny Coward 09/19/2012

[jsr356-experts] Re: [jsr356-users] Re: Updated Spec: v005: Close to EDR

Scott Ferguson 09/19/2012

[jsr356-experts] Re: Updated Spec: v005: Close to EDR

Danny Coward 09/22/2012

[jsr356-experts] Re: Updated Spec: v005: Close to EDR

Jeanfrancois Arcand 09/20/2012

[jsr356-experts] Re: Updated Spec: v005: Close to EDR